Alan's Thunks

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Playing Bridge?

 I used to waste a lot of time playing bridge during different times of my life. I blame it all on my brother who taught me when I was quite young and so when I went to university to study mathematics it seemed a natural way to waste my time. Once during my first year someone asked me if I was resitting my first year. I was a little puzzled by this  so I asked why. He said that I seem to spend so much time playing bridge & poker that he thought I must have done it all before!

  After graduating  I didn't play much bridge for about 10 years and then started again. The trouble is that by that time I was living in Norwich. Norwich is a lovely place BUT everywhere else is a long way away so once you start playing more then just locally it involves a lot of travelling, With two young children going away for  weekend seemed a little hard on both the wife, the children and me. So I stopped playing.

  Also I enjoy playing but not very competitively, mu favourite form of bridge is teams of four and I perfect evening would be when the scores end of level because everyone has reached the optimal score. A bridge partner of mine was once shocked by this admission, he wanted to win. 

  There must have been some reason for all this rambling, well the person who sent me on my fruitless quest for perfection at the bridge table, my brother has just written a short book on defence. It is called t "The essence of defence" and I recommend it to you all. It is available only directly from him at m-camina@o2.co.uk.  I expect everyone to buy a copy now!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home